Available on the iBooks Store!
The first comprehensive textbook on the psychology of using and understanding explanatory animations.
Ploetzner, R. (2016). Understanding explanatory animation — An introduction to cognitive design and user support. Freiburg, Germany: eXplanatory!media.
197 pages, numerous animations, figures, tables, and interactive exercises.
What is It?
... a multi-touch textbook that covers the perceptual, cognitive, and self-regulative processes which underlie the use of explanatory animations. Various forms of user support such as principles for animation design and strategies for cognitive user engagement are explored. Numerous animations exemplify the addressed principles and concepts.
For Whom is It?
... for students, teachers, educators, trainers, animation designers, cognitive and educational psychologists, and anyone who wants to know how to benefit the most from explanatory animations.
- Why this book?
- When you can't see the forest for the trees.
- What this book is and isn't about.
- The focussed processes.
- What characterizes animations?
- Promises — How animations are supposed to facilitate understanding.
- When the going gets tough — Why understanding animations can be demanding.
- Eyes wide open, minds on! How animations are successfully processed.
- What is it for? Why goals matter.
- Display it properly! Design that promotes understanding.
- Taking the user by the hand — Add-ons for user support.
- Make me think! Techniques and strategies for cognitive user engagement.
- Did I get it? Assessment for understanding from animation.
- Upcoming: 3D.
iPad Pro, iPad, and iPad mini with iOS 5 or later.
iPhone with iOS 8.4 or later.
iBooks 2 or later.
Mac with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or later.
iBooks 1 or later.